- Feel that you never do anything right for your partner?
- Avoid certain topics out of concern of angering your partner?
- Find yourself getting blamed for a lot of things?
Does your Partner…
- Force you to have sex?
- Constantly call or text you when you are out?
- Act too jealous or possessive?
- Regularly put you down and make you feel bad about yourself?
- Control what you are doing or what you wear?
- Make decisions for you without talking to you?
- Regularly shout, throw things around or slam doors?
- Blame you for his/her worries and troubles?
- Get extremely upset when you don’t meet his/her demands?
- Try to dominate you all the time?
- Limit your access to money?
- Hit you or throw things at you?
If you answered yes or sometimes to any of these questions there is help for your family.
You can talk to counsellors without giving your name at:
- Women’s Services of Haldimand-Norfolk
Crisis/Support Line: 1-800-265-8076
- Domestic Abuse Oxford County
24-Hour Help Line 1-800-265-1938
There are Many Types of Abuse
Anytime you are forced to take part in any sexual activity you don’t want, with anyone: this include your spouse or intimate partner.
This includes verbal abuse, name calling, putting you down, and isolating you from other people. If shame, humiliation, and intimidation are used to control a person’s actions, it is also abusive.
This can be a part of emotional abuse. It includes not allowing you to access money, stealing money from you, preventing you from working or causing you to get fired.
This is when a person hits, slaps, or uses physical dominance to control another person.
Domestic Abuse Services of Oxford County (online) 2016
Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (online) 2015
Helpguide.org (online) 2016