- Health Topics
- Before Pregnancy
- Are you Emotionally Ready?
Are you Emotionally Ready?
Are you ready to be a parent? It’s a great big, full-time job. There is no right or wrong time to have a baby – it’s up to you and your partner. With your partner go through the following ten questions from the March of Dimes Booklet, “are you ready?”.
- Why do you want to have a baby? Do you want to have a baby or are you being pressured by your partner, parent or someone else?
- How will a child affect your relationship with your partner? Are you both ready to become parents?
- If you’re not in a relationship, are you prepared to raise a child alone? Who will help support you?
- How will a baby affect your future educational or career plans?
- Do you and your partner have religious or ethnic differences? Have you discussed how you will handle these and how they might affect your child?
- What will you do for child care?
- Are you prepared to parent a child who is sick or has special needs?
- Are you ready to give up sleeping in on Sunday mornings? Can you find child care every time you want to go out without your baby?
- Do you enjoy spending time with children? Can you see yourself as a parent?
- What did you like about your childhood? What didn’t you like? What do you want for your child?