A loose fitting pouch that is placed inside the vagina to prevent sperm from being ejaculated into a women’s vagina. Held in place with soft rings at each end, one is placed near the cervix and the other remains outside the vagina.
Using the female condom:
Note: Practice putting in the female condom a few times before you use it for sex.
- First, squeeze the inner ring with the thumb and middle finger.
- Then, gently push the condom into the vagina. You will feel it move into place.
- Next, put your index finger inside the inner ring up as far as it goes. Do not worry. It will not get lost and it will not hurt you.
- Add some extra lubricant to the inside of the condom or to the penis.
- Guide the penis into the opening of the condom. Do not let the penis go to the side of or under the opening of the condom.
- When you are finished having sex, twist the outer ring and gently pull the condom out. Do this before you stand up.
$12.00-$15.00 for a package of 3 at the drug store
Available at drug stores
- Does not require a prescription
- Protects against STD/HIV
- Is made of polyurethane, can be used by people allergic to latex
Outer ring may be pushed aside by penis during sex
- Causes decreased feeling for some people
- May irritate the genital area because it moves during sex