Healthy Smiles Ontario is a government-funded dental program that provides free preventive, routine, and emergency dental services for children and youth 17 years old and under who qualify.
What services are covered?
The program includes regular visits to a licensed dental provider and covers the costs of treatment including:
• scaling (cleaning)
• fillings for a cavity
• removal of teeth
• urgent or emergency dental care (including treatment of a child’s toothache or tooth pain)
• topical fluoride treatments
Cosmetic dentistry, including teeth whitening and braces, are not covered by the program.
Is my family Eligible?
Children and youth 17 and under may be eligible for the HSO program if they are:
• residents of Ontario and
• members of a household that meets the income eligibility requirements.
Children 17 and under are automatically eligible and automatically enrolled in the HSO program when they or their family receive Ontario Works (OW), Temporary Care Assistance, Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities or the Ontario Disabilities Support Program (ODSP). Children and youth with other dental insurance coverage are no longer automatically excluded.
How can I apply for the HSO program?
• The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit can help you enroll. 519-426-6170 or 905-318-6623 or 519-582-3579 at Ext 3293
• Go to ontario.ca/healthysmiles
• Call ServiceOntario INFOline toll-free at 1-844-296-6306 (TTY toll-free at 1-800-387-5559)
If you have any questions about the free dental programs or to book an appointment call the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit for assistance at 519-426-6170 or 905-318-6623 or 519-582-3579 at Ext 3293.