The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit provides support to schools as mandated by the Ontario Public Health Standards. We are committed to working with schools to promote student well-being using a Healthy School Approach. We encourage schools to apply for the Healthy Student Bodies Grant to help make their school a healthier place to live, learn, work and play.
Who can apply?
All schools within Haldimand County and Norfolk County are eligible to apply (one grant per school) for up to $500 of funds.
There are a limited number of grants available. To qualify for the Healthy Student Bodies Grant, the following criteria must be met;
- A project team consisting of staff and students must agree to work toward making their school healthier using a Healthy School Approach. Project teams can be pre-existing teams (e.g. wellbeing teams, healthy school committees, etc.) or Health Unit staff can help your school assemble and facilitate a team.
- Students must be engaged and involved in all aspects, from beginning to end, of the project (planning, implementation, evaluation etc.).
- The initiative must focus on changing the school environment to make healthy behaviours more integrated into regular school days for all students and staff.
- An adult ally (teacher, parent, etc.) must provide support for the project.
- The initiative must be sustainable or have a long-lasting impact beyond the current school year.
- One-time events such as health fairs, guest speakers or one-day events are not eligible for funding
- Purchasing food for breakfast or snack programs is not eligible
The Health Unit strongly encourages interested applicants to schedule an in-person meeting or phone call with their school’s public health nurse or health promoter prior to submitting their application.
All grant money awarded must be used to directly support initiatives outlined in your application that address student well-being.
How to Apply:
Schools wishing to apply for the grant must submit a completed application to the Health Unit via the online form no later than November 9th, 2018. Your application will be reviewed as per the following schedule:
|September 4 – November 8, 2018||Meet with your school’s public health nurse or health promoter to review plans and application.||These meetings can occur via phone or at your school.|
|November 9, 2018||Deadline to submit application to the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit.||Applications submitted after this date will not be considered|
|November 12th- 28th||Haldimand-Norfolk School Health Team will review applications.|
|December 3, 2018||A Public Health Nurse or Health Promotor will inform school if application has been approved and/or if revisions are required.|
|June 14th||School deadline to meet with Public Health Nurse or Health Promotor and complete year end evaluation.||Failure to complete the year-end evaluation may affect your schools eligibility to receive the grant in the future.|
When will we receive the grant?
A cheque will be sent out after a school’s application is received, reviewed and approved by the Health Unit. This may take 4-6 weeks to process.
If you have other questions about the Healthy Student Bodies grants, or to learn more about how Public Health can support your school, contact the School Health Team at email@example.com or (519) 426- 6170 ext. 3285.