When you were pregnant, you may have changed your eating habits to support your baby’s growth and development as well as to supply energy needed for lactation. After pregnancy, proper nutrition is still important! Meet your nutrition needs by following Canada’s food guide. Use the following tips to help maintain your energy levels, and to make healthy choices that will benefit you and your baby:
- Stock your home with nutrient-dense foods that are easy to prepare or snack on with one hand when time and energy are limited.
- Be mindful of your hunger and fullness cues. Following your feelings of hunger and fullness can help you decide when and how much to eat or drink.
- Make water your drink of choice and stay hydrated. Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge or on the counter for easy access.
- Call on your partner, family members or friends to help with meal prep or grocery shopping.
- Be kind to yourself as you accept the changes your body has gone through. Trust your body to adjust naturally rather than focus on weight loss.