Nutrition Screening Tool for Every Toddler and Preschooler
What is NutriSTEP®?
NutriSTEP® is a nutrition risk screening questionnaire that parents or caregivers can fill out to see how their child is doing in terms of nutrition.
It has 17 questions that asks parents/caregivers about eating and other habits that can influence their child’s nutritional status. It takes only about five minutes to complete. Scores for each question are then totalled to give an overall nutrition risk score.
There are two versions:
Why screen with NutriSTEP®?
- Children’s food choices affect their growth and development, their health behaviours and how well they do in school
- We know that eating habits are formed early in life
- Nutrition screening is the first step in improving the nutrition of young children
- Screening identifies nutrition problems early before they become larger problems
- Screening helps ensure that those who need professional advice receive help from an appropriate health care professional
What does the NutriSTEP® score mean?
There are three levels of nutrition risk scores with guidelines for parents/caregivers:
- Score of 20 or less: The child’s eating and activity habits are good. There may be things that parents want to work on. Parents are encouraged to check out the educational material below for tips and more information.
- For Score of 21 to 25: The child’s eating and activity habits can be improved by making some small changes. Parents are encouraged to check out the educational material below for tips and more information. Parents can also speak to a Registered Dietitian for free at EatRight Ontario (1-800-510-5102) if they have any questions or concerns.
- Score of 26 or greater: The child’s eating and activity habits can be improved by making some changes. Parents are encouraged to talk to a health care professional, such as a registered dietitian, family doctor or pediatrician. Contact the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit at (519) 426-6170 Ext. 3237 or (905) 318-6623 Ext. 3237 for more information on what to do.
If you are a parent or caregiver of a toddler or preschooler or if you are a health care professional working with children ages 1-5, you can order copies of the NutriSTEP® questionnaire and nutrition factsheet by calling the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit at 519-426-6170 Ext. 3237 or 905-318-6623 Ext. 3237
Toddler Nutrition Resources
- How to build a healthy toddler
- Toddlers and Healthy Eating
- Toddlers and Physical Activity (Active for Life)
- How much food does my toddler need?
Preschooler Nutrition Resources
- How to build a healthy preschooler
- Preschoolers and Healthy Eating
- Preschoolers and Physical Activity (Active for Life)
- Do’s and Don’ts of Feeding Your Young Child
- Eating on a budget
- Recommended reading at your local library in Haldimand and Norfolk Counties
“Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How To Eat, How To Raise Good Eaters, How To Cook” by Ellyn Satter, RD
“Better Food for Kids, Second Edition: Your Guide to Nutrition for All Children from Age 2 to 10” by Joanne Saab, RD and Daina Kalnins, RD
Visit the NutriSTEP® web page for more information on the questionnaire.
General Questions on Healthy Eating?
Call an EatRight Ontario dietitian for free at: 1-877-510-5102
Last updated October 2012