- Health Topics
- Diseases A-Z List
- Oral Cancer
What is Oral Cancer?
- Oral cancer is the eighth most common form of cancer.
- Oral cancer can be fatal.
- Oral cancer is more common in males over 40 years of age.
Know the Signs and Symptoms:
- Sores on the face, neck or mouth that do not heal within two weeks.
- Swellings, lumps or bumps on the lips, gums or other areas inside the mouth.
- White, red or dark patches in the mouth.
- Numbness, loss of feeling or pain in any area of the face, mouth or neck.
If you notice anything unusual, see your dentist or doctor right away. There’s an excellent chance that oral cancer can be cured if it’s detected early and treated promptly.
- Avoid the use of any tobacco products.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol.
- Avoid over exposure to the sun without protection.
- Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Check your mouth, tongue and lips regularly.