- Health Topics
- For Operators
- Pedicure/Spas for PSS Operators
Pedicure/Spas for PSS Operators
Foot Baths (stainless steel and any portable basins)
- Wash and scrub with soap and warm water.
- Rinse and disinfect with low level disinfectant and ensure adequate contact time.
Re-circulation systems (eg. foot spa/bath) may be predisposed of a biofilm layer, hence cleaning and disinfectant solutions must be circulated through the system. Improper cleaning and disinfection processes have been linked with several mycobacterial outbreaks.
After each client:
- Foot bath must be cleaned with a detergent (low sudsing) and water solution, rinsed and then disinfected with an intermediate to high level disinfectant solution. Each cleaning and disinfectant solution must be circulated through the footbath’s circulating system.
- The disinfectant solution must be circulated for the minimum specified contact time as per the manufacturer’s recommendations. For bleach solutions, refer to Table 8 on page 68 of “Infection Prevention and Control: Best Practices for Personal Services Settings”.
At the end of the day:
- Footbaths equipped with a screen and recirculation systems require additional maintenance. The screen must be removed daily and cleaned to remove any debris that has accumulated.
- Cleaning must then be followed be intermediate to high level disinfectant.
Note: Mixing bleach with other cleaning agents may result in toxic vapours and lower the effectiveness of the bleach. Bleach solution must be mixed fresh each day.