Every school in Haldimand and Norfolk has a Public Health Nurse assigned to it. The PHN visits the high schools once a week or as needed. The PHN visits the elementary schools on request. While in the school the PHN offers:
- Confidential counselling for individuals/students.
- Provides referrals to community agencies and support groups.
- Provides resources to teachers and students for classroom teaching on health related topics.
- Provides classroom presentations on health related topics.
- Works with school personnel, students and/or parents to assist with activities that promote healthy lifestyles.
Public Health Nurses provide health programming/education in the classroom that is consistent with the Ontario Ministry of Education Curriculum. The curriculum recognizes that good health practices are an important aspect of daily living and that health and learning are closely connected.
The health topics include:
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Nutrition and Body Image
- Self Esteem
- Stress and Coping
- Anxiety and Depression
- Communication and Relationships
- Healthy Sexuality – including Birth Control and STI’s
- Preconception Health
- Reproductive Health – Pregnancy education and counselling
To Contact Your School’s Public Health Nurse call the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit at:
- Simcoe: 519-426-6170 / 905-318-6623 (free from 905)
- Caledonia: 905-318-5367