Skip to Main Content Health Care Professionals Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit Search

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI)

Sexually Transmitted Infections and Human Immunodeficiency Virus

The numbers of sexually active individuals who have sexually transmitted infections and/or HIV are still increasing despite the education that is available regarding lowering your risk. Chlamydia, for example continues to be the most common STI amongst those who are 14-25 years of age. Fortunately at present this STI is treatable and curable. The health unit offers a wide range of services to help you.





Human papillomavirus (HPV) and anogenital warts

Genital herpes

Hepatitis B

Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)

Pubic lice and scabies

STI testing

If you choose to have sex, Get Tested! Learn more about STI testing.

When should you get an STI test done?

  • Before you have sex with a new partner
  • If you or your partner have been sexually active and have not been tested or do not know your results
  • If you know your current or past partner has or had an STI
  • If the condom breaks or you have sex without one
  • If you or your partner have shared needles for drugs, tattooing or piercing
  • If you or your partner have any STI symptoms

urine sample cup and STI testHow is an STI test done?

  • Your healthcare provider will ask you a lot of questions about your sex life. With your consent they may do some or all of the following based on your history:
  • Ask for a urine sample
  • Check the external parts of the genitals (not done at the health unit currently)
  • Use a cotton swab to take samples from the throat
  • Request you to use a cotton swab sample of your genitals
  • Take a blood sample
  • *Click on individual STIs for specific testing and treatment

Testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea should be done during every Pap test that a woman has done by her doctor or nurse practitioner. For men, urine testing is used to tell if you have either of these STIs. A urine test can be done for a woman too if she is concerned that she may have an STI and already had a pap in the last year. Results are usually available within one week of having the test done.

HIV is tested by blood. Blood tests can also be used to tell if you have Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphilis. Blood test results are usually available within one (1) of testing and must be given in person to the clients themselves.


Related Resources

Related Topics