Instructions for Organizers, Food Providers and Exempt Groups
All persons and/or organizations planning to sell or offer food and/or beverages to the public at a special event in Haldimand or Norfolk County must obtain approval from the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit (HNHU) prior to the start of the event. There is no fee associated with the approval process.
- Which Special Events require approval from the HNHU?
- How do I notify the HNHU that I am the Organizer of a Special Event?
- Which Food Providers require approval from the HNHU?
- When do I need to obtain Food Provider Approval?
- How do I apply to be a Food Provider at a Special Event?
- Special Event Exempt Groups
- How do I contact the HNHU regarding Exempt Group Status or Notification?
- How do I submit the application forms or request assistance?
- Additional information
Special Event examples include, but are not limited to the following list of events where food and/or drink is offered and/or sold to the public:
- Sporting Events
- Special Occasions
- Charity BBQ’s
- Bake Sales
- Petting Zoos
- Animal Rides/Exhibits
- Open Farms
- Special Event Organizer applications should be submitted to the HNHU at least sixty (60) days prior to the start of the event.
PLEASE NOTE: the Special Event Organizer Application is to be submitted to the HNHU sixty (60) days prior to the event.
- Review the Special Event Organizer Information Package
- Complete the Organizer Application
All persons or organizations planning to sell or give away food and/or drink to the public in Haldimand or Norfolk County are required to obtain approval from the HNHU prior to the start of the Special Event.
- Special Event Food Provider applications should be submitted to the HNHU at least thirty (30) days prior to the start of the event.
PLEASE NOTE: the Special Event Food Provider Application is to be submitted to the HNHU thirty (30) days prior to the event.
- Review the Special Event Food Provider Information Package
- Complete the Food Provider Application Form
Religious organizations, fraternal organizations and service clubs may be exempt from the Ontario Regulation 493/17, Food Premises .
Exempt groups are still required to comply with the Health Protection and Promotion Act and must notify the Health Unit of special events involving the sale or offering of food accessible to the general public.
If you are unsure if your group is exempt from the Ontario Regulation 493/17, Food Premises, please call 519-426-6170 or 905-318-6623 Ext. 3231 to be directed to a Public Health Inspector.
- Online Submission: Available for the Special Event Organizer Application, and the Special Event Food Provider Application only.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 519-426-9974
- Regular mail or drop off in person to any of the addresses listed below:
Haldimand-Norfolk Heath Unit
12 Gilbertson Drive, P.O. Box 570
Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 4N5
Haldimand-Norfolk Heath Unit
282 Argyle Street South
Caledonia, Ontario N3W 1K7
If you have any questions in regards to the special event process, or require assistance completing the forms, please call 519-426-6170 or 905-318-6623 Ext. 3231 or send an email to email@example.com