Beets are a root vegetable that are known for their dark red colour. The leaves of beets can also be eaten either raw or cooked. Beets are a source of folic acid, vitamin C and potassium. Potassium is important for the health of your bones, kidneys and muscles.
Beet greens can be used like any salad green, make sure to rinse well before eating. Use raw in salads, smoothies or as garnish. You can cook beet greens in stir-fries or soups.
Beet Root Preparation
- Make sure to rinse with water before eating
- Cut the stem from the bulb before preparing
- Grate beet root and add to salads or coleslaws
- Bake, boil or pickle beets
- Can be used in salads, soups or as a side dish
- Beets can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Beet greens will go bad quicker and should be eaten within 2-5 days.
Where can I find more information?
- Eat Right Ontario
- Speak with a Registered Dietitian for free by calling 1-877-510-5102
- 1 beet root, cooked and sliced
- ½ can mandarin orange segments
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach or other leafy green
- ¼ cup walnuts or other nut (optional)
- oil based salad dressing
- Place greens in a large bowl.
- Top greens with beet slices, mandarin orange segments, red onion and nuts.
- Drizzle with salad dressing.
Tip: Use your favourite salad dressing or make your own by mixing 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 2 beet roots, washed
- 2 tbsp water
- Poke holes in the beets with a fork.
- Place the beets in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover the beets and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Rotate the beets and microwave for another 3-5 minutes.
- Use a fork to test if beets are tender, if the fork does not go in easily microwave for another 3-5 minutes.
- Cool the beets.
- Peel the skin.
Roasted Beets and Sweet Potato
- 4 medium beet roots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- ½ large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, toss the beets with 1 tbsp olive oil to coat.
- Spread the beets on a baking sheet.
- Mix the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Bake beets for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Mix the sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet.
- Continue baking for 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 beet roots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or
- ¼ tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill (or ½ tbsp dried dill)
- salt and pepper
- Beet Soup
- In a large pot add stock, beets, onion, carrot, garlic, lemon juice and sugar.
- Bring up to a simmer.
- Loosely cover pot and cook until beets are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Blend soup until smooth.
- Whisk in buttermilk, salt, pepper and dill.
- Can be served warm or cool.
Tip: You can make buttermilk with 2 cups of milk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar.