Pregnancy and Work
Are you expected to:
- Stoop or bend over more than 10 times per hour?
- Climb a ladder?
- Stand for more than four hours at one time?
- Climb stairs more than three times per shift?
- Work more than 40 hours per week?
- Work shift work?
- Be exposed to chemicals such as solvents, pollutants and pesticides?
- Be exposed to environmental concerns such as radiation, gases, heavy metals and second hand smoke?
- Work in an environment with excessively hot or cool temperatures?
- Lift heavy items?
If you said, “Yes” to any of these questions it is recommended that you speak with your healthcare provider.
- Speak to your health care provider about any concerns prior to pregnancy.
- Quit smoking.
- Reduce your exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Understand your rights and job limitations.
- Start taking prenatal vitamins containing folic acid three months prior to becoming pregnant.
- Learn more about the chemicals you use at work.
- Be aware of environmental exposures such as lead, paint and radiation.
- Take breaks to rest and have a healthy snack.
- Exercise caution when lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying heavy loads.
- Stand for no more then four hours at a time.
- Use caution with excessive hot or cold temperatures.
- If you sit at work, stand, stretch and move around when you can.
When to Get Help?
Get medical help right away if you have any of the following symptoms or if something does not feel right.
- Bad cramps or stomach pains that don’t go away.
- Bleeding, trickle or gush of fluid from your vagina.
- Lower back pain/pressure, or a change in lower backache.
- A feeling the baby is pushing down.
- Contractions, or change in strength or number of them.
- An increase in the amount of vaginal discharge.
- Fever, chills, dizziness, vomiting or a bad headache.
- Blurry vision or spots before your eyes.
- Sudden or severe swelling in your feet, hands or face.
- A significant change in your baby’s movement.
Go to the hospital right away and contact your health care provider if you have any of these symptoms!