- How to protect yourself and your family
As with most respiratory illnesses, the following can help you and your loved ones stay healthy and prevent spreading respiratory viruses such as COVID-19 and the flu:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water often, for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick.
- Instead of a handshake, a kiss or a hug, use a friendly wave.
- Clean and disinfect high-touch objects and surfaces frequently.
- Get your flu shot if you haven’t already
- Click on the following links for more information on personal preparedness.
Personal Preparedness for COVID-19 (HNHU)