Skip to Main Content Health Care Professionals Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit Search

COVID-19 Testing

If you have symptoms or have been exposed, take the COVID-19 self-assessment. Take it for yourself or on behalf of someone else and receive recommendations on what to do if you’ve been exposed


Am I eligible for a PCR Test?

Effective March 9, 2022, the following people are eligible for PCR testing:


  • People with symptoms of COVID-19 who fall into one of the following groups:
    • Patient-facing healthcare workers
    • Staff, volunteers, residents/inpatients, essential care providers, and visitors in highest risk settings
      • Highest risk settings include hospitals (including complex continuing care facilities and paramedic services) and congregate living settings with medically and socially vulnerable individuals, including but not limited to Long-Term Care, retirement homes, First Nation eldercare lodges, group homes, shelters, hospices and correctional institutions, Provincial Demonstration Schools and hospital schools
  • Home and community care workers
    • Household members of workers in highest risk settings and patient-facing health care workers
    • Temporary Foreign Workers in congregate living settings
    • Patients seeking emergency medical care, at the discretion of the treating clinician
    • Outpatients for whom COVID-19 treatment is being considered, including:
      • Immunocompromised individuals not expected to mount an adequate immune response to COVID-19 vaccination or SARS-CoV-2 infection, regardless of vaccination status.
      • Individuals who are not fully vaccinated and at highest risk of severe disease (anyone aged ≥70 years or ≥60 years who is Indigenous and/or has additional risk factors)
    • Pregnant people
    • People who are under-housed or homeless
    • First responders, including fire, police and paramedics
    • Elementary and secondary students and education staff who have received a PCR self-collection kit through their school


  • People with or without symptoms of COVID-19:
    • From First Nation, Inuit, and Métis communities, and/or who self-identify as First Nation, Inuit, and Métis and their household members.
    • Individuals travelling into First Nation, Inuit, Métis communities for work
    • Close contacts and people in the context of confirmed or suspected outbreaks in highest risk settings as directed by the local public health unit
    • Individuals, and one accompanying caregiver, with written prior approval for out-of-country medical services from the General Manager, OHIP

Asymptomatic testing in hospital, long-term care, retirement homes and other congregate living settings and institutions as per provincial guidance and/or Directives, or as directed by public health units.

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?


  •  If you are eligible to receive a PCR test, please visit to find your closest testing location.
  • COVID-19 assessment centres no longer provide free COVID-19 tests for the purposes of pre-travel clearance. Some local pharmacies offer COVID-19 testing services for a fee.
  • On 02/09/2022, The Ontario government expanded access to free rapid testing kits for at-home use. A list of participating retailers and how the kits are being distributed can be found at The free kits are available while supplies last with a limit of one box of five tests per household per visit. Please note, not all locations listed may have a supply in stock. 
  • At this time the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit does not have rapid antigen tests available to distribute to the public.
  • The Norfolk Family Health Team in Delhi is offering a COVID-19 Clinical Assessment Centre —which offers clinical assessments for anyone experiencing worsening COVID symptoms and PCR testing to people that have moderate symptoms and meet the eligibility requirements outlined by the Ministry of Health. For more info, please visit the Norfolk FHT’s website
What do I do if I do not qualify for a COVID-19 test?


Which of these situations applies to you?



  • I have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19
    • If you’ve been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 on PCR, rapid molecular or rapid antigen test, please refer to this chart to determine your next steps or take the self-assessment tool at:
I’ve had a PCR test. What should I do next?

If you had a PCR test, follow these next steps while you wait for your results.

  • Complete the self-assessment online at to determine if you need to isolate and for your next steps.
  • Check your results online
  • If you work in a highest risk setting and have symptoms or have been exposed, please notify your employer and do not return to work for 10 days. Highest risk settings include:
    • Hospitals (including complex continuing care facilities and paramedic services)
    • Congregate living settings, including Long-Term Care, retirement homes, First Nation eldercare lodges, group home, shelters, hospices and correctional institutions, provincial demonstration schools and hospital schools
  • If your result is positive, continue to self-isolate.
  • Public health or the provincial workforce may contact you. You may receive a call or a text message.
  • The Health Unit is not following up with all positive cases, please refer to for more information on the next steps.
  • If your symptoms become unmanageable, seek medical attention.
  • If you have questions, call the Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit COVID-19 hotline at 519-426-6170 ext. 9999.


If you require any additional support, please call 1 (888) 777-0730 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST 7 days a week


Last updated 08/31/2022