- Health Topics
- Tobacco and Vaping
- Tobacco and E-cigarette Vendors
Tobacco and E-cigarette Vendors
Smoke-Free Ontario Act (SFOA)
Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017 (SFOA) will replace the previous Smoke Free Ontario Act as well as the Electronic Cigarette Act (ECA). The new SFOA regulates the sale, supply, display, promotion and use of tobacco products and e-cigarette products. The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit enforces the SFOA. Under the SFOA, you cannot smoke or vape cannabis anywhere that tobacco and e-cigarettes are prohibited.
Any person who is responsible for the sale of tobacco products or e-cigarettes must review and follow all information provided by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care in the presentation presented below. This includes owners, managers and all staff. After reviewing the presentation and understanding the requirements of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017 it is recommended that individuals sign the sign-off sheet found at the end of the presentation. This sign-off sheet should be kept at the store once it is signed and the location should be known by owners, managers and all staff.
Download the Slideshow Presentation (pdf)
Information for Tobacco Vendors:
- It is illegal to sell or supply tobacco products to anyone under the age of 19.
- It is illegal to sell or supply tobacco products to anyone who appears under the age of 19 without verifying they are over the age of 19.
- Tobacco products cannot be displayed before the purchase transaction is complete.
- Tobacco products cannot be promoted.
- Tobacco vendors must post required signs.
Tobacco products include:
- Specialty tobacco products such as chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, snus and snuff.
- Tobacco sticks or capsules used in vapour products.
Information for E-cigarette Vendors:
- It is illegal to sell or supply e-cigarette products to anyone under the age of 19.
- It is illegal to sell or supply e-cigarette products to anyone who appears under the age of 19 without verifying they are over the age of 19.
- E-cigarette products cannot be displayed before the purchase transaction is complete.
- Promotion of E-cigarette products must comply with the Federal Tobacco and Vapour Product Act.
- E-cigarette vendors must post required signs.
E-cigarette products include:
- Electronic Cigarettes (e-cigarettes).
- Any part of an e-cigarette (for example, coils).
- Substances made or sold to be used in an e-cigarette (E-Juice, with nicotine or not)
Definition of E-Cigarette from the SFOA 2017
“Electronic cigarette” means a vaporizer or inhalant-type device, whether called an electronic cigarette or any other name, that contains a power source and heating element designed to heat a substance and produce a vapour intended to be inhaled by the user of the device directly through the mouth, whether or not the vapour contains nicotine”
For more information or to get signage please contact a Tobacco Enforcement Officer at 519-426-6170 Ext. 3407.