- Health Topics
- What are Sweet Potatoes?
What are Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are a bright orange root vegetable. They can be used instead of regular potatoes in most recipes. Sweet potatoes have
many nutrients including vitamin A, E and fibre. Canada’s Food Guide recommends eating one orange vegetable, every day which can
include sweet potato.
- Make sure to scrub and rinse under water before cooking.
- Sweet potatoes can be baked, boiled or microwaved.
- The skin can be left on or taken off. Leave the skin on for extra fibre.
Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dry, dark place.
Where can I find more information?
- Eat Right Ontario
- Speak with a Registered Dietitian for free by calling 1-877-510-5102
Basic Microwaved Sweet Potato
- Scrub and rinse sweet potato.
- Prick sweet potato with a fork.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes at a time, continue until tender.
- Let it cool.
- Slice in half, can be mashed or sliced as desired.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Optional: for an extra flavour boost try adding dried herbs and spices
for example: ¼ tsp cumin and ¼ tsp. chili powder for sweet and spicy flavour or ¾ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Celsius.
- Rinse sweet potatoes and cut into wedges or small sticks.
- Place sweet potatoes and vegetable oil in a bowl. Toss to coat. Season with salt, pepper and spices if using.
- Place sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, turning the fries once or twice during that time to cook evenly.
Tip: For easy clean up line baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stocks
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse vegetables.
- Peel and chop onions, carrots and sweet potato.
- Chop celery.
- In a sauce pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery for around 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add sweet potato and broth or water.
- Add cinnamon, salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
- Cook until potatoes are soft, around 20 minutes.
- If desired puree with a blender.
Tip: Add 1 can of lentils, drained and rinsed to add protein to your soup.
Beef, Corn and Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp non-hydrogenated margarine or vegetables oil
- 1 can whole kernel corn, peas or mixed vegetables or 1 cup frozen vegetables, thawed
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Wash and pierce sweet potato.
- Place potato on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave potatoes on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Cook beef and onion in frying pan until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain off fat.
- Place meat in a baking dish.
- Mash potatoes with milk and margarine. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour corn on top of meat.
- Spread potatoes over corn.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until heated through.