- COVID-19 Self-Monitor
Self-monitoring means checking yourself to see if you develop COVID-19 symptoms before or during the 14 day isolation period. More information is provided below.
When to self-isolate?
- If you have traveled to an affected area in the past 14 days (outside/inside of Canada) prior to symptom onset.
- If you have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or are waiting for results of a test.
- If you have stayed or worked in a facility known to have an outbreak of COVID-19 (i.e. long-term care, prison, hospital).
- Living in the same shared space with a worker who has COVID-19 symptoms (Seasonal agricultural workers, First Responder, Health Care Worker).
Self-monitor for signs and symptoms
- Monitor for symptoms for 14 days after exposure. These include:
- Fever (Temperature 37.80 C or greater)
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea)
- Sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Bad taste in mouth
- Nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain
- Runny nose or nasal congestion
Isolate yourself from others.
You must self-isolate for a 14-day period. View our factsheet “COVID-19 Self-Isolation” to learn how to self-isolate. Some ways to self-isolate are;
- Stay at home.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wash your hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Wear a mask.
Do not go to the hospital or your doctor’s office without calling ahead.
Symptoms getting worse
- If you develop symptoms of a respiratory illness (fever, cough, or difficulty breathing), call Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit COVID Hotline 519-426-6170 ext.9999.
- If you require medical advice, please call Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000.
- For urgent situations requiring immediate medical care, call 911.
After 14 days
- You must complete your self-monitoring period and be symptom-free for at least 24 hours after the self-monitoring period is considered complete.
Some content was adapted from the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care, 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), from https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus?_ga=2.77513429.118419850.1585667852-79913229.1585667852.