Food safety is a mandatory program for Ontario’s public health units under the Ontario Public Health Standards. The HNHU works to prevent and reduce foodborne illness in the community by:
- Conducting routine and complaint-based inspections of food premises
- Coordinating food handler training and certification
- Educating people about food safety at home, school and work
- Analyzing data about foodborne illness in Haldimand County and Norfolk County.
- Investigating and responding to outbreaks of foodborne illness, unsafe food handling practices, food recalls, etc.
- Providing expertise for food-related issues arising from floods, fires, power outages and other situations that may affect food safety